Reimburse Yourself: Money Saving Tips for Relocating
Note from Chris: Ken is a personal friend and was kind enough to offer these suggestions to help you save money on your upcoming move. Thanks, Kenny-G!
- Pack all the small items (breakables, dishes, books, clothing, toys, etc.) into boxes yourself. This is the best way to save money, as having a moving company do the packing can easily cost $25-$30 per carton (labor + materials).
- The easiest way to get materials is by going to a grocery store, merchandise store (like a Target or Best Buy) and seeing if these stores have boxes – usually these store will just give cartons away for free.
- Use paper/newsprint to wrap or pack fragile/breakable item. Paper is much more protective than bubble-wrap or Styrofoam “popcorn”, and is less expensive to acquire.
- If moving locally, move the smaller items yourself. Since a local move is based on time, every trip to/from the truck you can save the movers is savings for yourself. It can take a similar amount of time to move a triple dresser and an end table – but it is much easier to move an end table yourself.
- Make sure all dresser drawers, end tables, night stands, desks – anything with drawers – are emptied prior to moving. Not only is this easier on the furniture while in transit from Origin to Destination, the furniture can be moved quicker, because it’s empty.
- Use the “$0.60 per pound per article” Valuation Protection option (Insurance) when deciding on Valuation Protection. This can save you hundreds of dollars, and if your Homeowners Policy covers a relocation, you don’t need to purchase the moving company’s valuation protection. There is some risk here, but the moving company still shares in the liability protection on your household goods.
My name is Ken Gottlieb, I am a Relocation Consultant for Guardian Relocation, an Agent for Atlas Van Lines. I have over 25 years of relocation experience, which includes driving, packing, loading, commercial relocations, local, long distance and international relocations.
My goal is to provide the very best service to a family that is relocating either locally or long distance.
You can contact me at the following:
Guardian Relocation / Atlas Van Lines
2710 Independence Drive
Fort Wayne, IN 46808